June Core Value | DISCIPLINE
Discipline is one of the most important traits learned through sports. Discipline is essential for any sport because it builds an athlete's character to help them focus and achieve their goals without any distractions. Beyond sports, discipline is also instrumental to succeeding in other areas of life. Discipline provides athletes with rules that they can implement into their everyday lives to help them live efficiently and effectively. When you have discipline in your life you can make small sacrifices in the present for a better life in the future. Discipline creates habits, habits make routines, and routines become who you are on the daily.
Here are 8 ways to be intentional about building self-discipline.
- Set big goals
- Set clear goals
- Know that everyday matters
- Do not argue with the plan
- Build a no-matter-what mindset
- Plan a routine
- Commit and have integrity
- Find Pleasure in hard work
“Without self-discipline, success is impossible-period.” - Lou Holtz
Bring the conversation home with your athlete(s):
1. Why is being disciplined important?
2. How do you show discipline in your life?
3. What is the difference between discipline and punishment?
4. Name a time when you have taken the easy way out rather than choosing to be disciplined. What were the consequences of that decision?
We will be focusing on Discipline this month as our Core Value. Sports provide the perfect opportunity to learn and experience dedication, commitment, determination and so much more. We look forward to having conversations about Discipline this month and we hope you will join us.