March Core Value | RESPONSIBILITY
This month we are talking about RESPONSIBILITY, owning what is under our control. There are two types of athletes: the responsible one and the irresponsible one. The irresponsible athletes rarely step up and take full ownership of themselves, their choices, decisions, and actions, and how they impact others. Janssen Sports Leadership lists 3 qualities of a responsible athlete:
- Responsible athletes recognize and own the power of their choices, decisions, and actions.
- Responsible athletes consciously and consistently make helpful choices and minimize hurtful choices.
- Responsible athletes discipline themselves daily so others don't have to.
Here are some questions to help talk about responsibility with your athlete:
- How well do you recognize the power of your choices, decisions, and actions?
- How well do you own your choices, decisions, and actions?
- How well do you consciously and consistently make helpful choices? How well do you minimize hurtful choices?
- How well do you hold yourself accountable at school, at practice, and in other areas of life?
Here at MSA, we believe the impact that sports have carries far beyond practices and games. Sports teach life. Our monthly core values help facilitate these conversations with coaches and athletes. Join us this month as we focus on RESPONSIBILITY, owning what is under our control.