MVA Frequently Asked Questions
What ages do you offer programming for?
We have programming for athletes as young as Pre-K all the way through Senior year. We offer everything from once a week camps, high intensity boot camps, local teams, to highly competitive national teams. With all of our options we have something for everyone!
- Pre-K to 4th Grade | Volleykids
- 5th & 6th Grade | Youth Academy and U12 Club Teams
- 7th & 8th Grade | Middle School programming, 616 teams, and U13-U14 Club Teams
- 9th – 12th Grade | High School programming and U15 – U18 Club Teams
What levels of training/competition do you offer?
The Grand Rapids location offers National, Elite, Regional and 616
The Lakeshore location offers Premier and Regional.
MVA Program Levels
- National | Grand Rapids Only: U14-U18 options. Our National level is the highest commitment level of all of our programs. This level is only for the most competitive and committed athletes in their age group. National teams practice 3 times per week, play in multi-day tournaments such as Open level power leagues, large regional events, national qualifiers, and the National Championships. Teams may have an extensive travel schedule and are expected to attend and perform at all events. Athletes commit to play from December to July.
- Blue/Elite | Grand Rapids Only: U13 – U18 options. Our elite level offers a more intense travel and practice schedule and is a 6-month commitment. This level is for competitive and committed athletes. Teams will practice 2-3 times per week and play in all two-day events (8-10 tournaments). The elite season runs from December to June and includes travel to large regional tournaments around the Midwest. This is the highest level of competition for the U13 age group.
- Premier | Lakeshore Only: U13-U14 options. Our premier level offers our Lakeshore athletes a more competitive travel schedule and is a full season 6-month commitment. This level is for competitive and committed athletes. Teams practice 2 times per week and play in power league and local and regional multi-day events. This is the highest level of competition for these age groups on the Lakeshore.
- Regional | Grand Rapids and Lakeshore: U12 – U18 options. Regional teams are a 3- month commitment. Athletes may choose Winter season, Spring season, or both, but are for our athletes who are looking to take their competition and commitment up a notch. Teams will practice 2 days per week, play in 4 Power League tournaments, and 1 two-day regional tournament.
- MVA 616 | For our 7th and 8th-grade athletes MVA 616 is a local, lower cost, lower commitment team option. Athletes practice once a week and play in 4 one day tournaments over a three-month season. We offer two seasons, Winter and Spring, athletes may play in either season or choose both! Winter runs from December to March and Spring from March to May.
How do I determine what age group my athlete should play?
Athletes will primarily play with their grade. Using the age definitions below, if an athlete is YOUNG for their grade they will still tryout with their grade. If an athlete is OLD for their grade please contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help determine the specific solution for your situation.
- 2021-2022 Age Requirements
- 12 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2009 | Cannot turn 12 before July 1, 2022
- 13 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2008 | Cannot turn 13 before July 1, 2022
- 14 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2007 | Cannot turn 14 before July 1, 2022
- 15 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2006 | Cannot turn 15 before July 1, 2022
- 16 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2005 | Cannot turn 16 before July 1, 2022
- 17 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2004 OR born on or after July 1, 2003 AND are in the 11th grade during the current academic year.
- 18 & Under – Must be born on or after July 1, 2003 OR born on or after July 1, 2002 AND be a high school student during some part of the academic year.
My daughter is involved with another school activity/sport, is that okay?
We allow multi-sport athletes at every level and mandatory events are excused absences. Athletes and parents must do their best to avoid any conflicts and communicate early and often with their coach.
*National and Elite level athletes are only allowed to participate in ONE activity outside of MVA*
Do you make cuts?
We do our best to try and place as many athletes as possible, but we are always limited by the number of courts and the number of coaches we have as we try to not place more than 10 athletes per team.
At the older age groups and higher levels, we use a combination of athletic testing and skill evaluation to determine the best fit for our program. Position placement does influence our ability to make teams in these groups.
At the U13/U14 level, any athlete not placed in the regional program is recommended to sign up for MVA 616.
At the U12 level, any athlete not placed in the program is recommended for our Youth Academy.
Do you offer tuition assistance or payment plans?
We offer monthly automatic payment plans at no additional fee.
Savory Foods is available to help you fundraise towards tuition this season.
The MSA Foundation was created to provide financial resources that facilitate participation by youth in sport. Four times a year MSAF offers player assistance to families interested in volleyball, basketball, soccer, futsal, lacrosse, and others. The application windows for need based assistance are below. Please visit http://www.msafoundations.org for more information and to apply.
- June 27 – October 18
- October 28 – Jan 1
- Jan 11 – March 11
- March 21 – June 7
How do I sign up for tryouts?
My daughter cannot make the schedule tryout date, what should we do?
We do not have scheduled makeup tryouts. If you have a conflict with the original tryout dates please contact your location director to discuss your options.
Grand Rapids – AbbyA@michigansportsacademies.com
Lakeshore – CortneyN@michigansportsacademies.com